This week I’ll be celebrating turning 25, reaching a whole quarter of a century relatively intact. I thought now would be a good time to share what I’d like my little one to have learned by the time she turns 25. If blogging still exists in 25 years I’m definitely going to remember to look back on my 50th birthday and tick off the list with her. Yep, definitely going to remember. Anyway, without further ado:
1. Boys are generally not worth going near until they’re at least in their 20s. Go older if you can (look at your dad, he’s a fab example!)
2. Your hair will never look as good as it does on those days when you’ve not even brushed it and left it in a top knot cause you’re not going anywhere.
3. Life is much better when you learn to live it on your own and only then should you start sharing it with someone special. Neediness breeds insecurity and unhappiness.
4. Buying clothes that don’t need ironing makes so much sense.
5. Look back every couple of years at the music you used to love, some of it will be crap but you’ll have forgotten so much good stuff.
6. Find a best friend who doesn’t agree with everything you say, who tells it like it is and who lets you know when you’re being a douche.
7. Wine on an empty stomach is never a good idea. Ever.
8. You’ll probably enjoy that cake a hell of a lot more than you enjoy thinking about how smug you feel not eating that cake.
9. No one can take your qualifications away from you. They’re ridiculous hard work at the time but it’ll be so worth it in the end.
10. Daily Pro Plus is not a lifestyle choice.
11. Parents make most of their decisions for your own good, even if it didn’t feel like it when you were six and trying to argue your way out of eating veg or ten and trying to argue your way out of tidying your room or 17 and trying to argue your way into having a boyfriend stop over in said (still untidy) room.
12. Keeping friends around you who genuinely have your best interests at heart is one of the most, if not the absolute most, important things in life.
13. It’s okay to like really uncool things. You wanna play chess? Go for it.
14. Sometimes it really is just essential to have a day in your pyjamas, eating crappy food, watching crappy TV and only moving to top up the food or pee. Having 30 of those in a row isn’t so great.
15. Share your emotions. If something hurts, tell someone. If something feels broken, tell someone. Share the good emotions too. Don’t hide away.
16. Some men really are just egotistical and sexist. You got two options: sit and cry about it, or show them why you’re better than them. Always go for option two.
17. Feel grateful for your day-after-drinking freshness when you’re 17. By the time you hit 20 your hangover will start getting worse every time.
18. Outfits are made to be cringed at in five years’ time.
19. You’re always stronger than you think you are. It just takes a really crappy time to find that out.
20. Be with someone who makes you laugh. That’s pretty much the only dating advice my mom gave me but it’s spot on.
21. Life really isn’t fair.
22. You can’t be good at everything in life. Some people look like they might be, they probably aren’t, there’s probably something you can’t see that they’re terrible at. As long as you’re good at something that’s all that matters.
23. One nail will always break as soon as you get them all to the perfect length.
24. Sometimes you can be too over ambitious and fall flat on your face. All that teaches you is you need to have realistic expectations next time!
25. There’s truth in the saying: everything will be alright in the end, if it’s not alright, it’s not the end.
Harriet and bump x